Under the general direction of the Director of Engineering the position is responsible for the day to day operations of the maintenance team members and material resources used in an industrial healthcare laundry. Is aware of, and complies with local, state and federal regulations.
- Coordinates the daily start-up and shut down activities at the Bay Linen facility. Makes sure the shut down list is completed on a daily basis.
- Keeps Director of Engineering up to date as to activities of the maintenance staff and the condition of the plant.
- Together with Department Head coordinates building space allocation and layout, communication services, and facility expansion.
- With direction from Department Head installs, moves, repairs, and removes equipment and utilities within the building.
- Contracts with and supervises all outside contractors.
- Ensures all equipment is operating in compliance with recognized standards mandated by local, state, and federal agencies, including city water and other utilities.
- Assists Department Head serving as project manager for all new installations and upgrades.
- Responsible for staff responding in a timely manner to calls from production for equipment repair.
- Ensures compliance with Standard Precautions, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and state and federal legislation.
- Responsible for adherence to the PM program in Main Boss to keep the machinery working in a satisfactory manner.
- Inspects work areas frequently to observe and listen to the equipment while in operation for predictive maintenance.
- Assists Department Head in Responsibility for all general facility, building, and exterior grounds maintenance.
- Responsible for washroom chemical program including ordering of supplies, inventory, and testing.
- Coordinates compliance with fire protection, emergency response procedure, wastewater management, air pollution, and SARA.
- Oversees the maintenance of air conditioning systems throughout facility.
- Ensures compliance with all required permits and renewals.
- Ensures adherence to all Bay Linen policies and procedures.
- All other related duties as assigned by Bay Linen Management.
- Directly supervises the maintenance supervisors.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Bay Linen policies and applicable laws.
- Prepares periodic performance evaluations of maintenance supervisors.
- Promotes professional atmosphere of courtesy and discretion with maintenance and environmental team members, other Bay Linen employees, and visitors.
- High School education, college preferred or comparable experience.
- 4 years minimum experience in an institutional laundry facility is required.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Ability to perform accurately addition, subtraction, multiplication and division functions.
- 3 years minimum supervisory experience is required.
- Ability to adjust scheduling and workflow to accommodate equipment and/or inventory needs.
- Flexibility, in an emergency, to manage weekend shifts as the plant operates all or some areas seven days a week.
- Strong mechanical aptitudes and a working knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Excellent trouble shooting and diagnostic skills. Ability to define a problem and resolve it.
- Familiarity with local building codes and OSHA regulations.
- Requires strong supervisory skills, coupled with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with ever changing priorities and situations. Ability to multi task.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to respond constructively to requests from other areas.
- Must be a self starter who can work well with people at all levels both in and out of the facility.
- May be required to stand or walk for long periods of time.
- May be required to lift and/or move 50 pounds and occasionally required to exert pressure to move carts (with wheels) weighing up to 700 pounds.
- Required to have both peripheral and close vision.
- Congested area with a high degree of heat and humidity, especially in the summer months.
- Noisy equipment.
- Unpleasant odor from soiled linen and waste.
- Occasional wet and slippery floors.